Ning

Pink-Link Breast Cancer Support Network

Online Social Network for Breast Cancer Survivors

Jane Muccini

Just starting the long road...

Hello all,

My name is Janie and I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer on July 27, 2009. Just the beginning, I'm trying to be positive about the whole thing. I didn't choose this road but I'm going down it anyway, might as well look at it as an experience. Funny though, I'm not afraid just confused. I had a Level 1 Mammogram in December that was perfect. Beginning of July I feel a lump, get it checked out and turns out to be Invasive Breast Cancer...Stage 3 no less!! How does this happen?

Had to go for another Mammogram last week in a different area and brought my films. They confirmed that the films did not show anything in December. I felt good knowing that. The radiologist said to me that they tell women who have perfect mammograms "We'll see you in a year" and told me that what he was seeing with me was scary.

I will going through 3 months of Chemo, then the surgery and then 3 more months of Chemo. I will not let this get me down. Something good will come out of it. I'm sure of it.

Just thought I would share my story. Please feel free to share yours with me.

Take care of yourself!!
Sincerely,
Janie

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi, janie...i'm rebecca and i was 'shockingly' diagnosed with paget's disease (cancer of the nipple) 8/14/09...i am having surgery 8/27/09 to remove my nipple and the tumor they found behind it...was not expecting this! i was supposed to have hip replacement surgery a few days ago, but it's been indefinitely postponed because the 'boob' takes precedence (sp?)...still kind of in shock...i am a strong believer & follower of Christ so i'm pretty sure i'll be fine & He will guide me through this...my husband is the one i'm most concerned about then my amazing daughters...i think i'm having radiation after the surgery, don't know yet about chemo...i'm adding you to my prayer list...i like your attitude...hang in there, we'll make it! Sharing in His love, rebecca

Reply to This

Hi Rebecca,

Actually, I saw your bio yesterday and I didn't want to reply until I looked up Paget's disease and had an understanding of it. It's strange how things come into our lives and change our priorities. I too am a beleiver in Christ. This is my philosiphy:

This has happened for a reason and I believe it is good. Somewhere down the road there will be someone that touches our heart and hopefully there will be someone we touch. We have been chosen for something that is beyond comprehensible right now. But it's all good. Someones life could be saved from our story. The power of communication is so important. I want women to know not to take life for granted. Not to assume it can't happen to them. I don't know, maybe it's bigger than that. But there is a reason for going down this road.

So you were diagnosed on 8/14? I will be having my port for Chemo inserted the day you have your surgery. I will be praying for you. You will be fine. May I ask how you found this? Did you find it on your own or was it a check up.

I understand your shock. I was shocked too. They had to pick me up off the floor when they told me. Luckily, I brought my husband with me when they told me. The man is a saint! I wouldn't be as strong as I am without him.

I'm very happy you got in touch with me Rebecca. Please keep writing me and let me know how you are doing. You will be fine. As long as we have faith we can't go wrong!
I like your attitude too!

Take care of yourself!!

Love Janie

Rebecca Thomas said:
hi, janie...i'm rebecca and i was 'shockingly' diagnosed with paget's disease (cancer of the nipple) 8/14/09...i am having surgery 8/27/09 to remove my nipple and the tumor they found behind it...was not expecting this! i was supposed to have hip replacement surgery a few days ago, but it's been indefinitely postponed because the 'boob' takes precedence (sp?)...still kind of in shock...i am a strong believer & follower of Christ so i'm pretty sure i'll be fine & He will guide me through this...my husband is the one i'm most concerned about then my amazing daughters...i think i'm having radiation after the surgery, don't know yet about chemo...i'm adding you to my prayer list...i like your attitude...hang in there, we'll make it! Sharing in His love, rebecca

Reply to This

Hi Janie, now that it's been a couple of months, what's going on with your treatment? How are you doing?

Reply to This

Hi Janie,
I read your post and I am just about where you are on the treatment road. I was diagnosed with stage 3 on one side and stage 1 on the other side. I had mammograms every year since I can remember and now have an aggressive type on one side. I have had 3 chemo treatments and next surgery and than radiation.
It seems like a long road but we will make it. It is just bumps in our road. I hope you are doing ok with the chemo. I have a few bad days but otherwise it is not too bad. The bad days are bad but do not last long.
I do not know much about the surgery or radiation. I hope you receive my note and are doing well. Please let me know....hang in there and all my wishes and hugs to you.....Kathie

Reply to This

Hi Kathie,

It does look like we are on the same road. Before I started the chemo I had to go through a number of tests. The last test I had was a pet scan which detected a second tumor deep in my breast that wasn't detected on the second mammo and ultra sound. So now my stage has been upgraded to a Stage 3B. It is what it is and now I'm on the road to fight it!

I started chemo on August 27th and I just finished my third round last Tuesday. I do have some bad days but like you said Kathie, they are not that bad. I can still function but my head is cloudy, little nausea and everything aches. But after a week I'm fine. My hair is gone so I don't have to worry about getting hair cuts or hair product...I guess that in itself is a good thing. And I get to wear hats!! I love hats!

So every check up I have my onc says that the cancer seems to be melting away. We can't find the lump anymore and the cancer spreading in my lymphnodes seems to be gone. Of course, this is from her feeling them but I will need another pet scan to confirm. It all depends on when the Insurance company is ready to approve the scan is when I will go for it. But my onc said she has never seen such progress with just two rounds of chemo...this was done right before my third round.

Have you changed you diet at all? I have changed to a High fiber, fish, chicken and veggie diet. I have been putting Flaxseed in a lot of my foods. I have read a couple of cancer books who swear on the power of flaxseed. I'm staying away from soy because of my high estrogen.

We will beat this Kathie. Like you said it is just a bump in the road, we all have them, some worse than others. And believe me, there are people out there a lot worse off than us! I think of little children who go through this and parents that must feel so helpless. That thought keeps me in line and makes me realized how blessed I am.

It sounds like you are doing well Kathie and staying strong. I believe it's 50% medicine and 50% attitude that gets you though it. Keep the positive thinking and do what you can to help the chemo along.

Please keep in touch. I would like to know your progress and questions you may have, maybe we can help each other. My doctor keeps telling me not to think to far ahead, need to take in what I'm dealing with now. But I find that is hard.

Take care. Hope to hear from you soon. Hugs and well wishes right back at you!!! Janie

Kathie Lively said:
Hi Janie,
I read your post and I am just about where you are on the treatment road. I was diagnosed with stage 3 on one side and stage 1 on the other side. I had mammograms every year since I can remember and now have an aggressive type on one side. I have had 3 chemo treatments and next surgery and than radiation.
It seems like a long road but we will make it. It is just bumps in our road. I hope you are doing ok with the chemo. I have a few bad days but otherwise it is not too bad. The bad days are bad but do not last long.
I do not know much about the surgery or radiation. I hope you receive my note and are doing well. Please let me know....hang in there and all my wishes and hugs to you.....Kathie

Reply to This

Hello Janie, Kathie and Rebecca,

I'm so glad to find this space and read your stories. Although I have many supportive friends, I have been looking to find others that are going through the process now.

I can relate to your expressions of frustration on inadequate screening diagnostics. I was diagnosed on September 17, 2009. I've always had lumpy breasts and my regular mammagrams were always followed with ultrasound. For the last two years they only did ultrasound on the right, this year they did the left too and saw one mass. They did a biopsy and it came back invasive ductal carcinoma. When they marked the spot and looked on another mammogram they still couldn't see it! I had a unilateral mastectomy and the pathologist found two tumors, neither was seen on multiple mammograms, and only one was seen on ultrasound. It is so frustrating. I talked with my sister and she had her mammograms checked, and found out that while they have always told her the tests were negative, the radiologist read them out as dense fibroadenomatous tissue, in other words not really readable. She has been having abnormal discharge and is going to a breast specialty center to get it all checked out.

I'm currently waiting to find out the results of genetic typing to figure out what treatment should be next. I hope you all are doig well.
Brenda

Reply to This

I was also diagnosed this summer: May 2009. Mammogram was normal in April...felt a lump. tumour showed up only on ultrasound! Mammogram still no show! Had a biopsy and came back postive! I had surgery June 29 and have started chemo since aug. 10. Three FEC and three Taxotere...next treatment november 2nd and then the last November 23rd!! I will start radiotherapy after the holidays. I try to stay "up" but it is tough...alot of anxiety and feelings of being alone. I will make it through though and I hope with this groups help!!
Thanks and here is to meeting new people gonig through the same thingand helping each other!! :)
Sincerely, Josée

Reply to This

Reply to This

RSS

About

Victoria Tashman Victoria Tashman created this Ning Network.
Create a Ning Network! »

© 2010   Created by Victoria Tashman on Ning.   Create a Ning Network!

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy  |  Terms of Service